Friday, October 19, 2012

Creepy Eyes


          When Sydney was about 3 1/2 and Hayley was about 15 months old, they had this funny game where Sydney would put hats on Hayley. The hats were always way too big, covering Hayley's entire head so you could only see her eyes if she tilted her head backwards. Hayley would chase Sydney around the house and Sydney would happily yell, "Creepy eyes, creepy eyes!" and laugh uncontrollably. They both loved it. When Hayley turned about 2, she decided that being called "creepy eyes" was offensive and we made Sydney stop. Now recently, Hayley's totally cool with it again and they now use some homemade beanies my mom made them and play the same game. Tying this together, I have had a dozen unfrosted cupcakes in my freezer for the past few weeks that I haven't known what to do with. We have a church trunk or treat tomorrow and though I know a dozen cupcakes will last only about 2.4 seconds there with so many kids around, I figured at least they'd get eaten and enjoyed by somebody. So I scrounged around in my cupboards to see what I had to make some Halloween-inspired cupcakes. I have seen these "eyeball" cupcakes circulating through cyberspace for the past few years and realized that I had the tools to make some! It was super easy. I just melted some white chocolate coating and dipped the tops of my cupcakes in it. Make sure to let the excess chocolate drip off or you'll have globs of extra chocolate coating on your cupcake (I like to rotate the cupcake as I allow the excess to drip off so it drips off as evenly as possible). Once the chocolate coating hardened (takes only a couple minutes), I cut some green gum drops in half (hamburger-style) and "glued" them onto the centers of the cupcakes by dabbing them with a little melted chocolate coating and then pressing them on. I then used some leftover black decorating gel I had on hand for the pupils, though you could also use black sprinkles, black frosting, etc. Lastly, I used some red decorating frosting to pipe on the bloodshot veins for the eyes. The girls had a blast watching me make them and got even more excited when I called them "creepy eyes." Such a super fun and fast Halloween treat! Try it!

Creepy Eyes


No comments:

Post a Comment